Friday, July 15, 2011

Taylor Swift Help Now, Speak Now Dress Rehearsal

When Taylor Swift announced her Speak Now, Help Now dress rehearsal open to the public to benefit the tornado victims in Alabama, I knew I had to go. All the profits from the tickets were benefiting those affected by the storms, so it was a great cause. And getting to see my beloved Miss Swift was most certainly an added bonus.

Say what you will-- and many of you will-- I believe Taylor Swift to be one of the greater entertainers of this generation. Note I didn't say vocalist or powerhouse. Entertainer.


Each great female entertainer from Madonna to Lady Gaga has brought something different to the table. But in those differences from the rest of the musical crowd at that time brought similarities between each of the greats. Mostly rooted in sexual prowess and pushing the limits in such categories, these superstars were born out of talent, edginess, and groundbreaking stances on taboo subjects from sexuality to homosexuality.

This is where Miss Swift distinguishes herself. She has reached the pinnacle of success only seen by a few before her, but she hasn't had to sell anything but songwriting and a dream of princes, princesses, and fairytales to a group of eager young women's ears.





I attended the show in wristband VIP section where I was, to quote "Sparks Fly," "close enough to touch" the country princess. I watched in amazement as fireworks burst during "Dear John," acrobats swung from the ceiling, breezing across the stage in ease, dancers popped out of the stage into the air, and finally, Taylor ascended upon her flock of admirers in a flying thing-a-madooie.

I felt like an 8 year old at the circus as I watched wide-eyed at all the amazing attractions going on. The show is extensive with so much careful planning gone into it, and yet it goes so seamlessly, with Miss Swift leading her army to victory each night of the tour.

My only complaint? You can barely hear Swift over the overzealous crowd singing each and every word to her songs. Perhaps it was a faulty sound situation on this particular night, but at times I struggled to hear her over the many voices that filled Bridgestone Arena.

I'm not usually overly impressed by arena shows, as they just feel too large to be intimate with the artist. I prefer smaller venues to see my favorite artists. But in this case, Bridgestone almost seemed too small to house the show that was bigger than its body. She made everyone feel welcome and appreciated and yet somehow managed to keep that star power lit brightly that sets her so far apart from the audience. It's a balance Swift has learned to perfect, and that balance has proven to be a big selling point for her fans.

Taylor Swift at Bridgestone Arena on May 21, 2011   

This show was one of the highlights of the summer, and I highly recommend seeing it if you have any interest in Swift at all. Great show. Excellent performance. Visually a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment